April 25, 2010

Brent on Being "Just Brent"

When I was but a mere pup in my mother's womb, I imagined myself to be a great champion boxer one day with a wall full of ribbons. In utero I heard whispers of Westminster and Eukanuba. But alas fate is a cruel prankster......and I was born not to be a champion, who would strut my stuff in the show ring, no I was born to be a pet in some nameless backyard, on some nameless street, in some nameless city. But I myself am not nameless, for I am Brent, and though I am the product of a two champion breeding, I myself will never know the thrill of having the title Champion before my name. No not I ! I will always be Just Brent.

It was a hard day for me as a pup when The Old Lady and her mentor looked me over and said, "Nope he 'aint got it!"

Now I will never know the satisfaction of having a judge point at me and utter those lovely words "On this day you are number one". Because of a fluke of the genes I am destined to be a sad, lowly and under appreciated pet pup in someone's yard. With a face so hideous that I close my eyes when I drink from the water pail so as not to see my reflection.


Now, how's that for dramatic? Nah! I'm just jerking your chain. I don't give a gnats behind what I look like nor do I care that I am not a champion like my mom Biscuit, the Big Dog Doc and my snooty, show girl cousin Sonie. Well actually, sometimes I do care a little bit about the champion thing. But I try not to let it get to me.


What I do enjoy in life is being able to dig in fresh soil, bark at the trash man when ever I want and to enjoy a bit of "Treat" on occasion. Now I'm looking forward to sharing my canine wisdom through my advice column with The Boxer Ring readers. I'll also have a story or two to tell about the adventures of my canine family along with the escapades of The Old Lady."

So to all the, Hey Guys! It's Me Brent! I say welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment